Apple Inc. Sued For Laptop Charger That Started Glastonbury House Fire

Posted on Mar 7 2017 - 6:01am by Techy Hints

Apple Inc. is being sued by an insurance company that filed a lawsuit last month saying a charger for an Apple MacBook Pro started a 2008 house fire in Glastonbury.

The lawsuit adds to a list of complaints about Apple’s MagSafe ac adapter.

May 23, 2008, Carolyn Marziali had returned to stay with her parents after graduating from college. She plugged in the laptop using the MagSafe ac adapter to charge the computer overnight in an alcove of her bedroom, the lawsuit said. Carolyn slept in her sister’s room that night. Both she and her father, Eric Marziali, woke up to the beeping of a smoke alarm. They desktop area where Carolyn placed her laptop was ablaze.

The fire was apparently extinguished without injuring anyone, and the fire marshal for Glastonbury concluded that the laptop charger started the fire, according to the lawsuit filed Nov.19 in U.S. District Court in Hartford by Great Northern Insurance Company of Warren, N.J.

Great northern paid more than $1 milllion in damages, according to an attorney working on the case.

Great Northern is now seeking damages from Apple, alleging that the company based in Cupertino, Cal., had received a number of complaints posted on its website about problems with the MagSafe magnetic charger heating up, burning and sparking.

Apple declined to comment.

Last year, a class action lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court in San Jose alleging that MagSafe power adapter were negligently designed and manufactured and that it “dangerously frays, sparks, and prematurely fails to work,” according to a May 7, 2009, report in the Guardian Unlimited.



Source by akinggirl

About the Author

Geeky Magazine provides you with the daily latest technical news, reviews, startups, and every new in the internet world.