The Cobra 148 GTL CB radio has been the mobile rig of choice for all serious CB’ers for more than 30 years.
Historically, the best sets were always the earlier ones manufactured in the Phillipines. I purchased mine in 1978 and was lucky to get one of these little gems. Manufacture of this particular model was halted in the late 1990’s, but due to popular demand manufacture has been resumed and they are once again readily available.
Rugged construction has always been a hallmark of all Cobra CB radios, and the 148 is no exception. It can live in the harshest of environments that would quickly destroy lesser makes.
The newer units have remained in their original proven configuration. The only change has been a small cosmetic change that now has the microphone connector located on the front of the set, instead of on the side. This makes for very easy installation. Longer microphone cables are also now standard.
This model offers a total of 120 channels. It has 40 chanels on AM, and a further 80 channels on SSB (Single side band). The SSB channels are split into 40 each on the lower sideband and the upper side band.
Transmitter power output is the maximum allowable by FCC regulation – 4 Watts RF on AM, and 12 Watts RF on SSB.
The configuration is certainly feature rich –
- Built in SWR meter, and SWR calibration control for the accurate matching to the antenna.
- Adjustable Dynamike microphone boost control for maximum clarity on transmit.
- Adjustable RF gain control allows for the optimum setting of the received signal in both strong and weak signal areas.
- A noise blanking switch to further reduce the amount of received noise.
- PA switch allows this unit to be used as a public address system with the addition of an external speaker.
There is another reason why this model has proven to be so popular. The casing has a lot of room inside for mods, and there are a range of add-on boards available at radio shops to boost performance. Some are legal, some are not.
If you are looking for a feature-rich, ultra reliable, mobile rig then you can do no better than choosing the Cobra 148 GTL CB Radio.