Mac Help – Orange County, California
Solving your problems quickly and efficiently is Mac Help OC’s first priority.
Contact us for computer help from 7:00am to 10:00pm, 7 days a week, day or night, to schedule your service.
Mac Help — We’re on the way!
Creating a new user account
You should create individual user accounts for each person who regularly uses your computer. Each new user has a separate home folder and can adjust his or her own preferences without affecting other users.
1) Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and click Accounts.
2) If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type an administrator name and password.
3) Click the Add (+) button, located below the list of accounts, to create a new account.
4) Select a type of account from the New Account pop-up menu.
Administrator: An administrator account user can create, delete, and modify accounts, install software, and change system settings. Since administrators have such broad access, you should limit the number of administrator accounts created.
Standard: Standard account users cannot administer other accounts, but can install software for their own use and change settings related to their accounts.
Managed with Parental Controls: In an account managed by parental controls the administrator can place restrictions on: inappropriate Internet content, the amount of computer use, and access to applications, email, iChat.
Sharing Only: Sharing only account users can have remote access for file sharing only. They cannot log in via the login window or change settings on the computer.
Group: A group account consists of one or more other accounts and is used for setting privileges for shared files.
5) Enter a name for the account.
If you don’t want to use the short name, which is generated automatically, type a new short name. (After the account is created, you won’t be able to change the short name.)
6) Enter the user’s password in the Password and Verify fields, and then enter a hint to help the user remember the password if they have trouble remembering it at login.
7) If security is important for this account and you want the home folder encrypted, select the “Turn on FileVault protection” checkbox.
8) Click Create Account.
10) If the user has a MobileMe subscription, enter the MobileMe member name. For more information see the MobileMe website:
Call or email us for an appointment.
Visit us at www.machelpoc.com