Programs and applications for mobile devices are very popular nowadays. Both the procedures of software developing and testing require some innovations and modifications. Also, special attention is paid to testing tools.
Actually, a vast range of different tools for mobile testing is available now. And there are tools for various procedures of product checking and both diverse platforms.
What Are the Steps of Manual Checking?
- Detect an error.
- Take a screenshot of the found bug.
- The image should be transmitted to computer.
- Open the issue in the bug tracking system. Add the screenshot.
- Download the application logs.
- If necessary, make the video.
- Add the description of the device (OS version, model).
- Point the information about the app (version, built).
- Specify the steps to reproduce the bug.
- Submit the issue.
The procedure of manual testing is rather long and requires some time to document the discovered error. Sure, the bug tracking system simplifies the procedure but still, it needs some operations. We will have quite different situation with automated testing.
What Is the Procedure of Automated Checking?
- Discover an issue.
- Run the bug-reporting system.
- Point the steps to reproduce the error.
- Submit the bug.
The principle of automation saves much time. At the same time, it is necessary to choose the proper bug reporting tool. It will be a big plus if the tool supports the crash report function. Here is the list of several such issue reporting tools.
- InstaBug enables the test team to report the errors from the app. It can be integrated with several bug tracking systems, for example, Jira, Zendesk, Slack, Trello and others. The tool has the built-in option of crash reporting.
- Snaffu allows the specialists to create the bug summary in the application. The tool supports the option of capturing the logs automatically. Besides that, any problem will be highlighted.
- Shaketobug is a library for reporting errors of the Android apps. It enables to take the screenshots of the detected errors and add the details of mobile devices. Several characteristics of this tool can be customized.
- BugshotKit supports all iOS versions. It can be launched with one gesture. The option of commenting the taken screenshots is available.
Besides that, there are special crash reporting tools, for example, Crashlytics for Android and iOS, ACRA for Android.
The procedure of bug reporting during Android or iOS testing should not be too long and should not require much effort.